Tuesday

August 25th, 1744

Dear Walter,

Congratulations on your imminent nuptials! What is it you fear may be wrong? If it is what the hastiness of this decision implies, worry not; marry the girl quickly and no one will be the wiser. Children often come early. Please send me the details of the wedding plans.

I am writing you from my room at the Setanta House Hotel in County Kildare. My role in the trial has ended (a small and unimportant role as it turned out; my only purpose was to assert that McGovern was in Jacmel the night before his death) but I have decided to stay on awhile. I am enjoying the mild Irish August. I am also enjoying the company of a young lady, scarcely nineteen, named Brigid after the fair saint of this region. She does not seem to mind my company and I certainly enjoy hers. However we shall soon part ways: I must reunite with the crew of the Hannu in Italy. 

All the best,
Capt. Bosworth

No comments: