Friday

November 25th, 1744

Walter,

Forgive me; it has been so long since my last communique. As I told you in my last letter, I was headed to Italy to join the Hannu. I arrived there safely in mid September. The crew of the Hannu and I had stocked the ship at planned to depart on the 30th. But as fate would have it the Battle of Madonna dell' Olmo broke out on that very day. We were held captive as unfortunate bystanders as the Franco-Spanish armies and The Kingdom of Sardinia waged war on each other. The Bourbons lost almost 3,000 men. We were finally able to depart on the 1st of October, as rains began to fall, destroying roads and flooding the trenches.

But now we are safe and sound and I eagerly await your return to the Hannu in the coming July. Congratulations on your marriage! I hope some day to meet your beautiful wife. When is the child due to arrive?

Yes, Walter, I am a father. But hardly have I earned the title. I have a daughter named Rose who lives with her grandmother (her mother's mother) in London. I have not seen her since she was a baby and she would be a young woman now. I will be honest Walter, the life of a sailor is not always conducive to that of a good father. But it is a job with the opportunity for much financial gain and Rose has never wanted for anything. In that (if only that) I have done right by my child.

All the best,
Captain Bosworth

No comments: